A privately guided hike on Europe’s highest active volcano, followed by a picnic.
Located on the east coast of Sicily, Mount Etna is Europe’s highest active volcano and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
The day on the Mount Etna volcano starts bright and early. Guests are picked up by our staff and driven up to 1,200 meter elevation.
Led by a geologist mountain guide, the group leaves the main road and starts a 30-minute mild climb on-board sturdy 4×4 off-road vehicles. From this vantage point hikers admire the stunning view from one of the most inaccessible and mysterious places on the volcano, the Bove Valley.
After taking in the stunning views and snapping photos, the vehicle merges back on the paved road continuing up to 2,000 meter elevation where all roads end. From here, guests hike on marked trails visiting some of Mount Etna’s inactive craters. Another short drive takes hikers to explore “the cave”, an impressive volcanic tube.
After a picnic lunch, our volcano adventure ends with a leisurely drive back to guest accommodations.
- After a morning of hiking and spelunking, it’s time to rest and have a picnic on the craters, pouring DOC Etna wine and snacking on typical Sicilian food.
- Depending on level of fitness, hikes can be customized to light/mild/difficult, or to not involve any trekking at all, if desired.
- Upon request, we can arrange a full day experience, hiking the volcano and then ending the day with lunch and wine tasting at a local vineyard.
Key Points to Consider
- Participants on this hike are covered by insurance.
- Good hiking or at least running shoes (with proper grip soles) are required. Sandals, ballerina flats, sneakers, moccasins and any kind of slippery sole shoes are strictly forbidden.
- Participants can request hiking boots should they not have their own.
- Mandatory gear provided by the guide includes hiking sticks, and individual helmets and torches for the Cave exploration.
- Mount Etna can be fully explored year-round. If visiting outside of summer, proper winter hiking wear is highly recommended.
- We suggest bringing a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses for this excursion.
- Also consider bringing a light jacket for higher altitude portions of the hike.
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions.
Start time is flexible, suggested start time for this tour is 8:30 am.
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
We reached out to Casa Mia Tours at the last minute the morning our ship docked in Sicily. Within a few hours they arranged a Sicilian cooking lesson and dinner for us. We had such a wonderful experience.MiamiShelUSA