A day trip in the Sicilian countryside, visiting an olive grove, enjoying lunch al fresco.
The hilltop town of Chiaramonte Gulfi is located in Ragusa’s DOC Vittoria winemaking region in southeastern Sicily. One of the highlights of this area is a beautiful contrada filled with 70-hectares of olive trees, most of which are 800-900 years old.
Guests are welcomed to the farm by our host who leads them through a walk around the property. On this walk guests learn about the farm’s production of tonda iblea olive groves, the breeding of nero ibleo black pigs from the Nebrodi Mountains, capers, citrus trees, a small agricultural museum and ancient wine cellar. This stunning family farmhouse, located at 650 meters above sea level, was originally a watchtower during the Middle Ages.
Our Casa Mia host farmer and true “Renaissance man” then sits down with guests at a shaded outdoor table for a simple seasonal lunch with wine pairings and a tasting of the farm’s own products. Think Sicily’s famous tomato estratto, homemade salami, and swirls of iridescent gold and thick green certified organic DOP extra virgin olive oil poured over warm bread.
- The experience starts with a walk in the olive groves, admiring the olive trees, as well as witnessing every day life on a gorgeous Sicilian farm.
- At the end of the tour, a simple seasonal lunch is enjoyed with wine pairings and a tasting of the farm’s own products including Sicily’s famous tomato triple-concentrate estratto, homemade cured meats, and swirls of iridescent gold and thick green certified organic DOP extra virgin olive oil poured over warm bread.
Key Points to Consider
- Private transportation to the farm can be arranged upon request.
- Comfortable non-slip walking shoes are recommended.
- Note: some parts of the property may be muddy after rainfall.
- Bring a small reusable shopping bag to pick up any olive oil or wine you’d like to bring back home.
- In summer we suggest wearing a hat and sunscreen.
- Tours operate in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions.
This is a full day tour (8 hours).
Start time is flexible, suggested start time for this tour is 9:00 am.
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
We reached out to Casa Mia Tours at the last minute the morning our ship docked in Sicily. Within a few hours they arranged a Sicilian cooking lesson and dinner for us. We had such a wonderful experience.MiamiShelUSA