A privately guided food tour of Rome’s Jewish Quarter.
Nestled in the large curve of the Tiber River, in an area locally called Ghetto Ebraico, the vibrant Jewish community of Rome–the second oldest in Western Europe after Venice–culturally expanded to develop its own stellar cuisine, which became the foundation of Roman popular cookery.
The area’s unique history permeates its characteristic and one-of-a-kind culinary tradition.
In this ancient and historical part of the Eternal City, amid layers of 1st century Roman, medieval and renaissance ruins, as well as 19th century palazzos, food lovers are guided by local food experts who focus on showcasing only small, family-run food artisans, and who love creating friendly connections between travelers and locals.
During this walking exploration of the Jewish quarter of Rome, guests taste delectable neighborhood specialties, savoring the local lifestyle, and learning about the area’s ancient food traditions.
What you'll be tasting
- On this walking food exploration of Rome’s Jewish Quarter, participants taste traditional Jewish-style pastries at a 250 year-old bakery, plus artisan cheese, kosher wines, battered vegetables and–when in season–Jewish-style fried artichokes.
- Upon request, our sweet and savory exploration of the Roman Jewish Quarter may be extended to include lunch at a typical trattoria. Here, seated around a convivial table, a prominent figure in the Roman Jewish community will be happy to answer questions.
Key Points to Consider
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Bring a small reusable shopping bag to pick up treats at food stops.
- Tours operate in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- In summer we suggest wearing a hat and sunscreen, and carrying a small reusable water bottle.
- We also suggest bringing something to cover your head if you plan on entering the Synagogue.
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions.
The length of the tour is 3 hours.
Start time is flexible, suggested start time for this tour is 10:00 am or 4:00 pm
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
We enjoyed a wonderful tour of Rome. We visited a neighborhood food market and several local food merchants, including a bakery, a pizza place, and a cheese store. Our guide was very knowledgeable about food, history, and traditions. Highly recommended!Poland221USA