A privately guided food tour of the city’s markets and independent food artisans.
Bologna possesses a strong history of markets, some of which have taken a more modern approach than typically.
Among its many nicknames, Bologna is affectionately known as La Grassa (“The Fat”) as its love of food, wine, and all that is delicious resides at the heart of Bolognese cuisine. Just steps from the central Piazza Maggiore is the historical Mercato di Mezzo which since the middle ages has developed into the epicenter of Bologna’s market experience. With the guidance of a local expert, food lovers enjoy gastronomic specialties distinct to Bologna, and Emilia-Romagna, while learning intimate details of this beloved city.
Known as “Little Venice,” Bologna possesses many canals that welcomed trade and commerce which consequently encouraged the exchange of thoughts and ideas. There is no shortage of markets throughout the city spanning from antique and flower markets, to the obvious food markets which include both typical outdoor farmers markets as well as indoor modern markets.
On this experience, food lovers are guided by local food experts who focus on showcasing only small, family-run businesses, sharing intimate historical details, and who love creating friendly connections between travelers and locals. All while tasting delectable local specialties, savoring the lifestyle, and learning about the region’s food traditions and trends.
What you'll experience
- During this privately guided stroll around Bologna, food lovers gain a firm understanding of its nickname “La Grassa”, shop and taste side by side with the locals at markets and food shops, and leave satisfied after tastings which may include artisanal chocolate, traditional cured meats like mortadella, plus cheese and wine.
- There is also a pasta tasting and tours end with gelato.
- This tour provides an in depth look at market life experiencing it as the locals do.
Key Points to Consider
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Bring a small reusable shopping bag to pick up treats at food stops.
- Tours operate in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- In summer we suggest wearing a hat and sunscreen, and carrying a small reusable water bottle.
- We also suggest bringing something to cover your shoulders if you plan on entering churches.
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions.
The length of the tour is 3.5 hours.
Start time is flexible, suggested start time for this tour is 10:00 am.
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
Casa Mia far exceeded our expectations. They immediately responded to our questions and set up everything perfectly. When the tours were over, we all felt we were saying goodbye to old friends. We highly recommend them and definitely plan to use them for our future trips to Italy.volkllUSA