A day trip in the Ragusa countryside, visiting a cheese farm.
This is an authentic and off-the-beaten-path adventure, exploring a small cheese producer in the lush countryside outside Ragusa, distinguished for its fertile land, superb local cuisine and spectacular wines.
The small, family-run farm guests have the opportunity of visiting was founded in 1978 in Contrada Castiglione, only a few miles from Ragusa’s city center.
Here, Frisona breed cows graze freely in the Hyblaean mountain countryside every morning and produce abundant high quality milk for cheesemaking. With this prized raw milk, the farm produces fresh and wholesome local cheeses: provola, caciocavallo, tuma and ricotta.
Methods are ancient and traditional, rhythms are slow.
During our visit, we can trace the entire journey of the milk from the stables, all the way to the creamery where the cheese is made before our eyes. Guests witness all of the various steps in the production, from the curdling of the milk, to the forming of the cheese including the stretching and shaping of fresh provola and DOP Ragusano cheese, and the preparation of ricotta.
- Watch cheese being made before your very eyes.
- At the end of the experience, guests enjoy a tasting of the farm’s cheese and other other local specialties, like bread, olive oil and cured meats.
- Upon request, Casa Mia can arrange for the farm to prepare lunch for guests, using locally grown produce, the farm’s own cheese plus wine, bread and other seasonal specialties.
Key Points to Consider
- Private transportation to the farm can be arranged upon request.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Note: some parts of the property may be muddy after rainfall.
- The floor in the cheesemaking facility can be wet and slippery.
- Bring a small reusable shopping bag to pick up cheese at the creamery.
- Tours operate in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- In summer we suggest wearing a hat and sunscreen.
- The cheese tasted is produced with EU regulation approved raw milk.
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions.
This is a full day tour (8 hours).
Start time is flexible, suggested start time for this tour is 9:00 am.
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
We reached out to Casa Mia Tours at the last minute the morning our ship docked in Sicily. Within a few hours they arranged a Sicilian cooking lesson and dinner for us. We had such a wonderful experience.MiamiShelUSA