A day trip through the province of Enna in central Sicily.
Guests spend the morning with a visit to a local cheesemaker and then head over to the Roman Villa in the nearby town of Piazza Armerina for a historical tour of this treasured UNESCO World Heritage Site.
We begin with a visit to a local sheep and cow’s milk cheesemaker near Enna. Guests have the rare opportunity of witnessing the stages of production as the cheesemakers prepare their daily fresh products in the busy family caseificio creamery.
Our Casa Mia guide explains the story of the DOP Piacentinu Ennese and how this beautiful saffron-colored sheep’s milk cheese––only made in the province of Enna––was invented in the 12th century during the rule of King Ruggero.
After a delicious cheese tasting, guests continue their travels to Piazza Armerina. Their Casa Mia guide for the day is a knowledgeable archaeologist who leads guests on an interesting in-depth exploration of the “Villa Romana del Casale” in central Sicily.
This Roman villa is filled with an extraordinary collection of frescoes and mosaics that date back to the early 4th century AD. It is truly one of Sicily’s most precious treasures.
- The central Sicily experience includes a morning tasting at the cheesemaker, sampling an abundant cheese platter consisting of a young pecorino called primo sale, sheep’s milk cheese with pistachios, bocconcini di mozzarella, homemade yogurt, warm ricotta, fresh Tuma cheese, local honey or jam, and the farm’s prized Piacentinu Ennese.
- Upon request, the experience can end with an afternoon lunch in Piazza Armerina.
Key Points to Consider
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Note: the floor in the cheesemaking facility is often wet and slippery; and some parts of the Roman villa may be muddy after rainfall.
- Bring a small reusable shopping bag to pick up any cheese or souvenirs.
- Tours operate in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- In summer we suggest wearing a hat and sunscreen.
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions.
The length of the tour is 5 hours.
Start time is flexible, suggested start time for this experience is 9:00 pm
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
We reached out to Casa Mia Tours at the last minute the morning our ship docked in Sicily. Within a few hours they arranged a Sicilian cooking lesson and dinner for us. We had such a wonderful experience.MiamiShelUSA