A privately guided food tour in Catania.
On this food exploration of Catania, food lovers have the chance to experience one of the largest and most vivacious markets in Sicily. Located in the heart of the historic center, the farmer’s market, ‘a piscaria offers wonderful insight into Sicilian culture and cuisine.
After exploring the stunning architecture of Piazza del Duomo, guests enter the marketplace where they meet friendly, entertaining, and trusted vendors.
Local samples as we move through the market and neighborhood may include fresh seasonal fruit/produce, olives, fried anchovies, scacciata, coal-roasted artichokes, Sicilian cheese, or local street food like arancini, pizzette, cipolline and stigghiole.
A short stroll by the Benedictine nunnery reveals the secrets behind local pastry-making. Tastings may feature minne di Sant’Agata, croccante almond or sesame brittle, Saint Agata’s marzipan olives, cannoli, cotognata, rame di Napoli and other sweet specialties.
Between imbibing on tangerine selz soda at a streetside kiosk and snapping photos at the Greek amphitheater, we discuss the meaning of eating seasonally and how Sicilian cuisine is crucially connected to market-fresh produce and deep-seated local traditions.
- The local food scene is experienced fully by observing and tasting the work and products of fishmongers, butchers, farm-to-market greengrocers, street food kiosk owners, cured meat vendors and cheesemongers, bakers, pastry chefs, and other culinary artisans.
- The experience may end relaxing in the lush Bellini Gardens with a snack, or seated at a restaurant in the vibrant Via Etnea neighborhood for a light lunch.
Key Points to Consider
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Bring a small reusable shopping bag to pick up treats at food stops.
- Tours operate in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- In summer we suggest wearing a hat and sunscreen and carrying a small reusable water bottle.
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions.
The length of the tour is 3 hours.
Start time is flexible, suggested start time for this experience is 10:00 am
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
We reached out to Casa Mia Tours at the last minute the morning our ship docked in Sicily. Within a few hours they arranged a Sicilian cooking lesson and dinner for us. We had such a wonderful experience.MiamiShelUSA