A day trip in the south western Sicilian countryside, visiting wineries, tasting wines.
Vineyard excursions allow wine lovers to learn about Italian wine through a unique experience: meeting the winemakers at the estate, walking through the vineyards, learning about the grapes, and tasting the wine in the cellar.
The western side of Sicily is often overlooked. Big mistake! On the furthermost western point of the island, Marsala is known for its warm African winds and a long history of fortified winemaking. Further south, in the countryside around Agrigento––known for the Valley of the Temples, a vast archaeological site with well-preserved Greek temples––are more interesting wine making areas. Inland are fertile wine growing areas like Sambuca di Sicilia and Menfi.
This less touristy part of the region is home to heavy hitter wineries like Donnafugata, Marco de Bartoli, Vini Barraco and Cantine Florio. Our Vineyard Discovery allows wine lovers (both expert and neophiles) to explore some of the region’s most interesting oenological areas.
This full day wine tasting adventure allows guests to travel to the beautiful Sicilian countryside and taste some of the most well-known wines of the region, including Marsala, Grillo, Nero d’Avola, Cattaratto, Perricone and others produced from ancient vines, some of which were planted in the 16th century.
Our personalized tour around the wineries of Western Sicily furthermore introduces guests to people who have devoted their lives to the art of winemaking. Their role in maintaining the centuries-old unique winemaking traditions of the region intact is what gives these Sicilian wines their distinctive trait.
In between vineyard visits, guests sit down for a traditional Sicilian lunch. Menus are seasonal and may feature an antipasto, a regional pasta dish and a main course of meat or fish, more wine and a sweet Sicilian treat to finish off the meal with coffee.
Guests come away from our full day vineyard discovery with a greater knowledge of the differences in methods, grapes and flavors of the wines produced at each of the unique locations visited.
- Our guided wine discovery introduces wine lovers to the native grape varieties and wine making styles of Western Sicily by seeing them up close, in the vineyard, with the wine producer.
- After the winery visit, participants enjoy lunch at a charming, family-run trattoria.
- The tasting menu includes creative and traditional local dishes that complement each wine. These are seasonal appetizers, a plate of pasta, a main course, vegetable sides, dessert and coffee to finish the meal.
- Depending on the winery visited, wine orders can be shipped worldwide.
Key Points to Consider
- Private transportation to the vineyards can be arranged upon request.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Note: some parts of the vineyards may be muddy after rainfall.
- Bring a small reusable shopping bag to pick up bottles at the winery.
- Tours operate in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- In summer we suggest wearing a hat and sunscreen.
- Vineyard visits operate in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions.
This is a full day tour (8 hours).
Start time is flexible, suggested start time for this tour is 9:00 am.
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
We reached out to Casa Mia Tours at the last minute the morning our ship docked in Sicily. Within a few hours they arranged a Sicilian cooking lesson and dinner for us. We had such a wonderful experience.MiamiShelUSA