A privately guided food & culture tour of the Baroque towns and foods of Southeast Sicily.
Weaving through the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Modica and Ragusa, tasting local sweet and savory specialties, food lovers admire the two towns’ Sicilian Baroque architecture.
Our full-day adventure begins with a visit to Modica, a town which was rebuilt in its original location and style after the 1693 earthquake. Modica is famous for two standout characteristics: its Sicilian Baroque architecture of the 17th and 18th centuries, and its chocolate.
Nestled in the breathtaking Val di Noto gorge, Modica is one of Sicily’s many UNESCO World Heritage Sites, known for its Baroque architecture, splendid churches and cold-processed chocolate.
Food lovers on this Casa Mia experience taste the local chocolate and learn how this unique local product is made. This moment is followed by a leisurely lunch in town at a family-owned trattoria.
After a short drive, the day continues in Ragusa Ibla, a unique historical town located on a hilltop.
Ragusa Ibla is famous for its unusual geographical layout and stunning Sicilian Baroque architecture. Built on three wide limestone hills separated by a deep valley, the ancient hilltop city of Ragusa Ibla belongs to the Val di Noto, a special UNESCO World Heritage Site comprised of eight towns, renowned for sensational late Baroque architecture and a deep-rooted food culture.
The main architectural style here is late Sicilian Baroque from the end of the 1700’s. After the earthquake of 1693 which destroyed Ragusa, a group of nobles rebuilt Ragusa Ibla in its original location surrounding the church of San Giorgio.
In a perfect mix of culture and food, guests visit a renowned gelateria and taste traditional biscotti with dessert wine. Strolling through the stepped streets, their guide points out carved masks that adorn the balconies of noble palaces and the town’s richly decorated cathedrals. Many of the palaces and churches in Ragusa Ibla are also UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Before bidding arrivederci to the Baroque towns of Southeastern Sicily, guests enjoy a typical cheese and cured meat tasting at a local enoteca, with wine pairings.
- Full-day privately guided tour of two UNESCO World Heritage sites: Modica and Ragusa, renowned for sensational late Baroque architecture and a deep-rooted food culture.
- Modica is known for its crunchy, cold-processed chocolate. Guests on this Casa Mia experience taste the local varieties and learn how this unique product is made.
- Lunch is enjoyed in Modica at a family-run trattoria with a selection of mixed antipasti, seasonal soup or pasta, and wine.
- After lunch guests visit the breathtaking town of Ragusa Ibla, a hilltop town famous for its unusual geographical layout and stunning Baroque architecture.
- Before bidding arrivederci to the Baroque towns of Southeastern Sicily, guests enjoy a typical cheese and cured meat tasting at a local enoteca, with wine pairings.
Key Points to Consider
- Private transportation can be arranged upon request.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Bring a small reusable shopping bag to pick up treats in the artisan shops.
- In summer we suggest wearing a hat and sunscreen, as well as bringing something to cover your shoulders if you plan to enter churches.
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions.
This is a full day tour (8 hours).
Start time is flexible, suggested start time for this tour is 9:00 am.
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
We reached out to Casa Mia Tours at the last minute the morning our ship docked in Sicily. Within a few hours they arranged a Sicilian cooking lesson and dinner for us. We had such a wonderful experience.MiamiShelUSA