A day trip in the Roman countryside, visiting a cheese farm.
This is an authentic and off-the-beaten-path adventure.
The drive out of Rome is just under 2 hours and takes guests, guided by a cheese expert, to an organic farm in the countryside. The farm is nestled on a hill surrounded by lush countryside and pastures. The owner’s family tends to a small herd of goats, plus Cinta Senese pigs, chickens, rabbits and bees. The farm is certified organic and under the raw milk regimen, so strictly pesticide-, antibiotic- and artificial feed-free. The 12 hectares of pasture land and woods, orchards and olive groves produce cheese, milk, cured pork meats, honey, seasonal fruit and vegetables, and jams.
Upon arrival cheese lovers are welcomed to the property seeing healthy and clean livestock grazing freely in the pasture lands. Guests are introduced to the owners who introduce the family history and the traditional farming methods still used.
The tour of the farm stables, pastures and a peek into the cheese-making facility ends seated in the garden in the shade of the chestnut trees, where guests are served a cheese-centric lunch with wine.
What you'll be tasting
- At the end of the cheese farm visit, guests sit and enjoy a leisurely lunch in the garden.
- The appetizer spread showcases the farm’s cheese, fresh fruits, cured meats, the farm’s own pickled vegetables and freshly baked bread.
- Before the return back to the city, lunch ends with homemade dessert, plus water, wine, amaro and espresso coffee.
Key Points to Consider
- Private transportation to the farm can be arranged upon request.
- Comfortable non-slip walking shoes are recommended.
- Note: some parts of the property may be muddy after rainfall.
- The floor in the cheesemaking facility is often wet and slippery.
- Bring a small reusable shopping bag to pick up cheese at the creamery.
- In summer we suggest wearing a hat and sunscreen.
- Excursions operate in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Some of the cheese tasted may be produced with EU regulation approved raw milk.
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions.
- Given farm animals produce limited amounts of milk in the hotter months, visits cannot be scheduled in the months of July and August.
This is a full day tour (8 hours).
Start time is flexible, suggested departure time for this excursion is 9:00 am.
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
We enjoyed a wonderful tour of Rome. We visited a neighborhood food market and several local food merchants, including a bakery, a pizza place, and a cheese store. Our guide was very knowledgeable about food, history, and traditions. Highly recommended!Poland221USA