A day trip in the Roman countryside, visiting a cheese farm.
This is an authentic and off-the-beaten-path adventure.
The drive out of Rome is just under 2 hours and takes guests, guided by a cheese expert, deep in the heart of the Roman countryside. The farm is nestled on a hill surrounded by lush countryside and pastures. The owner’s family tends to 1,500 sheep, a small herd of goats, plus cows, pigs, chickens, rabbits and bees. The farm is certified organic and under the raw milk regimen, so strictly pesticide-, antibiotic- and artificial feed-free. The 200-hectare farm produces cheese, milk, cured pork meats, honey, seasonal fruit and vegetables, cereals (farro), jams.
Upon arrival cheese lovers are welcomed to the property seeing healthy and clean livestock grazing freely in the pasture lands. Guests are introduced to the charming owners who introduce the family history and the traditional farming methods still used.
After a visit to the property’s teaching farm, guests are equipped with sterile lab coats, slippers and hair nets and welcomed to the creamery for the rare opportunity of seeing a live cheese making demonstration from freshly extracted milk to the finished product, culminating in a delicious just-made cheese tasting.
The tour of the farm stables, pastures and cheese-making facility ends seated at the family’s agriturismo restaurant, where the cheesemaker’s mother cooks and serves a buffet-style lunch with wine.
What you'll be tasting
- At the end of the cheese farm visit, guests sit and enjoy homemade dishes prepared by the owners’ mother.
- The appetizer spread showcases the farm’s cheese, honey and jams, cured meats, the farm’s own pickled vegetables and freshly baked bread.
- Lunch also includes a plate of pasta, such as cavatelli topped with tomato sauce, or with ragù; a main course like grilled lamb; assorted vegetable side dishes and homemade biscotti, plus water, wine, amaro and espresso coffee.
Key Points to Consider
- Private transportation to the farm can be arranged upon request.
- Comfortable non-slip walking shoes are recommended.
- Note: some parts of the property may be muddy after rainfall.
- The floor in the cheesemaking facility is often wet and slippery.
- Bring a small reusable shopping bag to pick up cheese at the creamery.
- In summer we suggest wearing a hat and sunscreen.
- Excursions operate in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Some of the cheese tasted may be produced with EU regulation approved raw milk.
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions.
This is a full day tour (8 hours).
Start time is flexible, suggested start time for this tour is 9:00 am.
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
We enjoyed a wonderful tour of Rome. We visited a neighborhood food market and several local food merchants, including a bakery, a pizza place, and a cheese store. Our guide was very knowledgeable about food, history, and traditions. Highly recommended!Poland221USA