Welcome back to #whatscooking! We’re thrilled to share our May schedule of live interactive cooking classes, brought to you from our homes to yours!
After the success of our April classes, we are once again offering simple interactive recipe lessons in May, to bring Italy-lovers together during this time of social distancing. Our lessons are geared toward home cooks like us and are open to all.
Additional Arancini Lessons in April
Saturday, April 18 and Thursday, April 30 at 5:00 pm EST Carolyn will teach you how to make Arancini.
And now the announcement you’ve all been waiting for…
May cooking class calendar
Repeat Lessons by popular demand
- Monday, May 4 at 4:00 pm EST an additional Artichoke lesson is on the calendar, taught by Eleonora. Only a few spaces left!
- Thursday, May 21 at 3:00 pm EST an additional Biscotti lesson is available, taught by Gina. Only a few spaces left!
Wine & Cheese Pairing ~ 2 dates & 2 instructors!
- This special lesson is an introduction to the magical world of wine paired with cheese. During this 90-minute interactive wine & cheese pairing lesson we taste 3 Italian wines and 3 Italian cheeses. The focus is on how to taste, grape varieties and their characteristics; and on cheese types, cheese making techniques and finally we pair cheese and wine. No doubt, Eleonora and Gina will share some of their Italy wine and cheese adventures with you
- Two dates: Saturday, May 9th and Friday, May 29th at 5:00 pm EST
Wine and cheese pairing lessons are taught in tandem by Eleonora, our resident cheese expert, and Gina, our natural wine lover.
Roman Pasta Classics ~ 2 dates!
- Welcome to the realm of cucina romana! In this class we explore two of Rome’s favorite pasta dishes: Amatriciana & Gricia. During our 90-minute live interactive cooking workshop, we debunk myths. We twirl forks. We see you smile.
- Date: Thursday, May 7 and Monday, May 11 at 5:00 pm EST
- Lessons taught by Carolyn
Meatballs ~ 2 styles
- Drenched in tomato sauce, fried or baked, polpette are the focus of these 90-minute live online cooking lessons.
- Dates: Sunday, May 3 and Sunday, May 17 at 11:00 am EST – Classic meatballs to add to a slow cooked Sunday sugo or a quick & simple marinara. Lesson taught by Gina
- Date: Saturday, May 23 at 11:00 am EST – Northern Italian-style fried meatballs taught by Eleonora
- We teach live cooking classes online for a maximum 10 participants per lesson to allow hands-on teaching and interaction during the lesson. We want to have time to answer all of your questions and spend time together cooking.
- Should classes fill up quickly, we will do our best to schedule another session for participants on our waitlist.
- Sign-ups for May classes are now open. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your space for our May dates.
- Within 48 hours of submitting your request, you will receive a confirmation and an invitation to the lesson.
- With the confirmation email we’ll send you a shopping list for the lesson and a list of kitchen tools that we’ll use during the lesson. Please don’t hesitate to ask us for substitutions if you can’t find an ingredient or don’t have a specific kitchen tool. We make substitutions in our kitchens every day!
- All starting times are listed in Eastern Standard Time (EST).
- Classes last 1.5 hours and start promptly. Lessons are held on the Zoom platform. They are recorded and available only to participants within 48 hours.
Sneak peek at June lessons, conversations and beyond
- Cooking Class for Kids – a fun, easy and safe lesson for the young foodies in the family
- Film & Food – a conversation with Eleonora bringing food and cinema together through an exploration of Italian Neorealism and the narrative of her nonno, Vittorio De Sica. After the brief lecture Eleonora will hold a Q&A, complete with photos, video clips, personal anecdotes and more.
- Fish & Seafood – Italy is 80% surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea and its immense biodiversity… imagine the culinary possibilities!
- Dolce didactics – Did someone say tiramisu?
- Risotto tutorial – There’s something very relaxing in stirring broth into rice as it thickens…
- Gnocchi making from scratch – There is a universe beyond potato gnocchi
- Side dishes – Vignarola, a springtime Roman countryside “contorno”
Future lessons will include
- Antipasto! Appetizers and cicchetti to pair to wine and cocktails
- Pasta from scratch – ravioli, pappardelle, cavatelli… the list goes on
- Soups – pappa al pomodoro, ribollita, zuppa di farro, pasta e ceci, pasta e fagioli, pancotto, bagna cauda, zuppa pavese, and more
- Basic sauces – pesto, puttanesca, bolognese and more
- Main courses – roasts and stews; chicken cacciatore; involtini & scaloppine; roasts and more
- Vegetarian recipes – stewed lentils, torta rustica (savory pie), caponata and more
- Complete meal recipes – eggplant parmigiana; frico; frittata; polenta; pizza & focaccia, and more
- Desserts – tiramisu, crostata, panna cotta, gelato & granita, and more
You can email us requesting a full list of lessons/dishes that are available.
If there’s a dish that you’d like to cook but do not see listed here, please let us know and we’ll add it to our menus.
If you would like to request a lesson at an alternative time please email us and we will try our best to accommodate.
We’re happy to offer semi-private and private lessons upon request.
We do not require payment for our live online cooking classes, but contributions for lessons are welcome. We donate 10% of all contributions to Partners in Health Coronavirus response efforts.
To make a contribution. please click here.
“Cooking is all about people. Food is maybe the only universal thing that really has the power to bring everyone together. No matter what culture, everywhere around the world, people get together to eat.”
–– Guy Fieri