An exploration of Palermo’s markets followed by lunch prepared together in their chef’s home.
On this chef-led walking tour, city sites are pointed out along the way as guests move through the centro storico, to visit Palermo’s most ancient and characteristic outdoor food markets.
The morning begins with an Italian coffee and learning about Sicily’s layered culinary history.
The local food scene is experienced fully by observing and tasting the work and products of fishmongers, butchers, farm-to-market greengrocers, street food kiosk owners, cured meat vendors and cheesemongers, bakers, pastry chefs, and other culinary artisans. Among the hollering vendors, buzzing activity, vibrant colors and aromas, we stop to meet trusted stallholders and source the ingredients for our lunch.
But, no market visit is complete without a few snacks along the way. Traditional street food samples may include sfincione, granita, panelle, ricotta al forno, or for the brave: the pani ca’ meusa (spleen sandwiches).
Finally, our tour ends in their chef’s kitchen where guests create a communal lunch to enjoy together.
Between sips of Sicilian wine, guests learn a few new kitchen tricks to take home with them, while discovering the secrets of seasonal cooking in Palermo.
- A perfect experience for food and wine lovers who want an introduction to the magic of la cucina siciliana.
- Our walking market experience introduces food and wine lovers to two of the most ancient outdoor food markets in Palermo.
- Guests have the opportunity to chat with trusted purveyors while wandering through a labyrinth of hollering vendors, vibrant seasonal colors, and the delicious aroma of fried goodies.
- Market tours include small street food tastings along the way and finish up with lunch in the chef’s private home.
Key Points to Consider
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Bring a small reusable shopping bag to pick up treats at food stops.
- Tours operate in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- In summer we suggest wearing a hat and sunscreen, and carrying a small reusable water bottle.
- Aprons are provided by the cook.
- Guests can keep copies of printed recipes.
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions.
The length of this experience is between 4 and 5 hours.
This experience is available from Tuesday-Saturday morning.
Start time is flexible; suggested start time for this tour is 10:00 am.
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
We reached out to Casa Mia Tours at the last minute the morning our ship docked in Sicily. Within a few hours they arranged a Sicilian cooking lesson and dinner for us. We had such a wonderful experience.MiamiShelUSA