A privately curated meal in the company of a local food expert.
Enjoy a lunch or dinner in a local trattoria in the company of a local food expert who can answer any questions and chat about eating well in the Eternal City.
Food is a major aspect of Italian life, and eating out is a cultural expression of that lifestyle. This is something not to be taken lightly.
Italians are proud of their cuisine, and it’s important to understand this when eating al ristorante.
There’s no better way to do it than sitting at the table with a local, learning about the menu, savoring seasonal dishes and acquiring insight in the local tradition.
Upon request this experience can be arranged at a local’s home, where guests can relax while their Italian host puts the finishing touches on the meal.
What you'll be tasting
- Our local dining experiences always take place in trusted restaurants, or in the homes of English-speaking cooks or chefs, enjoying traditional Roman dishes and family recipes paired with wine.
- The menu changes depending on the season and personal taste.
- A typical lunch includes antipasti, a pasta dish, a main course, dessert, espresso coffee and wine. Dishes may feature appetizers like croquettes and other fried starters, pastas like rigatoni con la pajata (pasta with lamb intestine sauce) and main courses such as Roman style tripe.
- Those not interested in offal can enjoy Roman classic pastas like gnocchi, amatriciana, carbonara or cacio e pepe; and main courses like baccalà, lamb or veal, plus seasonal side dishes. Wine pairings may feature bottles from small organic and biodynamic Italian wine makers.
Key Points to Consider
- Custom menus for special occasions can be designed in advance.
- Special bottles of wine, like Franciacorta, Amarone or Barolo, can be requested for an additional cost
- Please notify us in advance of any food allergies and aversions
The length of the experience is 3 hours.
Start time is flexible, suggested start time for this experience is 12:00 pm (noon) or 7:30 pm
Get in touch with us today with any questions you have about this tour:
We are committed to respecting your privacy. Any information you provide whilst speaking to us will only be used in accordance with our Privacy & Legal Policy, and will not be used for marketing or passed to any third parties without your clear and prior consent. If you have any questions about how we manage your information, please contact us.
We enjoyed a wonderful tour of Rome. We visited a neighborhood food market and several local food merchants, including a bakery, a pizza place, and a cheese store. Our guide was very knowledgeable about food, history, and traditions. Highly recommended!Poland221USA